• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#1 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

On 27 September 1800, Leonhard Mayser founds "Hutmacherey Mayser". In the following years, the small hatmaker quickly develops to become a hat factory with several production sites in Germany.

In 1858 Leonhard Mayser's son, Friedrich Mayser, decides to take a spectacular step. He leaves the workshop environment behind him and is the first hatmaker in Germany to introduce extensive mechanized production. Together with his son Fritz, he further develops his own company, helps to finance other companies and plays a major role in industrialisation in Ulm. In 1875, the former craft enterprise has developed to become Ulm's second largest industrial enterprise.

The company has reached a size which makes greater financial leeway for future activities necessary. In 1886, the company becomes a stock corporation (AG). By the standards in Baden-Württemberg, Mayser is now one of the federal state's large stock corporations.

With the participation of Anton Seidl, the owner of the J. A. Seidl hat factory in Munich, the company is transformed into a GmbH (private limited company) in 1914. The partners are Carl Mayser and Anton Seidl, who takes over sole ownership of the Mayser hat factory four years later (1918).

In 1924, Anton Seidl introduces production of ladies' hats and is thus able to double production. The name Mayser, which stands for high-quality hats, is registered at the patent office in Berlin.

In 1929, the competitor in the Allgäu region is bought out and integrated into the Mayser company.

In 1940, Curt M. Zechbauer, the son-in-law of Anton Seidl, takes over management of the company and transforms it into a general partnership.

The Wirtschaftswunder years bring Mayser one success after the other. The high point comes in 1963, when Mayser produces 3.5 million hats and sells them worldwide.

In 1954, Curt M. Zechbauer's son, Peter M. Zechbauer, acquires the licence of the American hat factory of Stetson for Mayser.

In 1991, restructuring of production leads to the hat production being relocated to the sister factory in Lindenberg.

http://www.mayser.de...en/historie.asp

Posted Image

#2 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Mayser Wagrain Bergell, size 60cm, (1970s).

Alpen style hat with elaborate felt trimmings.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:39 PM

Mayser Ausseer, size 59cm (1970s)

It has a back bow and love the brown / gold color combo. Although classic Trachten I was told because of the gold trimming it was known as the 'Anwaltshut' (lawyer's hat) in the 60s and earlier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Mayser Black Fedora (1950s)

This beauty is from Dreispitz on the FL.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:45 PM

I was told about a scene featuring Mayser hats and boxes from the comedy / farce "One, Two, Three" by Billy Wilder staring James Cagney. The movie was shot in Berlin around 1960 prior to wall going up. I was able to purchase a copy so I put a clip of the scene "Speeding Crash Course" on YouTube. It is worth checking out the entire movie if you get a chance.

By the way you can still purchase the same Mayser hat box featured in the clip. I have a few of them.

Posted Image

#6 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

Mayser Fedora (late 1960s 1970s)

I really like the felt and ribbon color combo on this one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:49 PM

Mayser-Milz Fedora(late 1960d 1970s)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Mayser Parabuntal (2000s)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:24 PM

Mayser Perl (1982)

This Alpen model has some very nice black velour felt and cord treatment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

Mayser Long Hair (1970s early 1980s)

The felt on this Mayser has a great feel and look. The hat is designed to have both front and back brim snapped down. This one is from my friend Herbert Jennissen at Hut-Neubarth Regensburg.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Mayser Long Hair Gernot (2000s)

Unfortunately Mayser isn't making many Trachten style hats anymore. I really like the Edelweiss flower on the felt ribbon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

Mayser Faulk (2000s)

Nice Trachten style hat with cool feather ribbon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

Mayser City Finale (1975)

I really liked the felt and style of this hat. I ended up giving it away to a cute US military lady that took a liking to it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

Mayser Velour (1990s early 2000s)

This is another great hat from my friend Herbert Jennissen at Hut-Neubarth Augsburg. The velour felt and sweat band are awesome. Love the ribbon treatment. This is the best modern production hat I have ever come across. It has a very vintage feel regarding the materials (sweat and felt) and construction.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

Mayser Fedora, Black, size 60cm, 1958

The felt has a nice finish and feel + very malleable. Some wear and tear though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

From Herbert Jennissen at Hut Neuberth, Augsburg. Some background info regarding Stetson operations in Europe.

"Mayser had owned the Stetson license for Europe before FWS* got it. The hats then were high end products like the fur felt Stetsons made in
the USA (just different shapes and a smooth finish all made by Mayser in Lindenberg). The problem: the hats were very expensive and hardly
anybody bought them. Too little sales for Stetson, so they gave it to FWS, who labeled the whole collection."

#17 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

Stetson - Mayser 3X Beaver Quality Homburg, size 58cm

This one was made by Mayser 12/27/58. Mayser started licensing and making Stetsons in 1954. The condition is near new.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

This Mayser Homburg (size 59cm) is probably late 50s early 60s and in great condition.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

This super Mayser belongs to Sue on the FL. I am not really clear on the age. I think it is from the 50s but not sure which part.

The felt reminds me of some of my old Borsalinos - malleable, but substantial.

2 5/8" brim, 5 1/2" uncreased crown, 2 1/8" reeded sweat, 7/8" ribbon.

It's actually a little lighter than charcoal - a dark medium gray.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

This is a current Mayser City Finale, size 59cm (I have one from the 70s) that was given to me as a gift. This hat is actually very well made. What is interesting is they are still stitching the upper part of the ribbon. Not sure if anyone else is doing this today. I can't find any flaws in the workmanship (IMO above current Stetson, Akubra and Borsalino) regardless of the modern style.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users