• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Third hat factory in Nový Jičín (Czechoslovakia). Founded in 1850 and nationalized under TONAK after WWII. Had a location in Dinkelsbühl, Germany that stopped production in 1971.

Posted Image

Here is some information from Mario regarding Peschel Dinkelsbühl.

"Well, now. I just phoned up the Dinkelsbühl number I found - only to learn that there is no longer a shop by the name of Peschel... But - lo and behold! - I happend to talk with Anton Ernst Peschel's widow, and she told me that the production site in Dinkelsbühl closed it's doors in 1971. Her husband died seven years later, in 1978.

Günther Peschel from Novy Jicin/Neutitschein was on of their relatives, but I failed to ask for details here. She told me that, after the sixties and the general demise of the hat industry, it just didn't make sense anymore to produce hats at such a large scale, and they thus decided to end their business.

I told her that I just bought an old Peschel hat and that I was keen to find some information about the company, even more so because it's so hard to find any information at all. She said that it makes her very happy to learn that there are still people out there who love to wear Peschel hats. She seemed so very proud of the lids they made - and so pretty sad that they had to abandon the business.

Well, that's not really a whole lot of information, I know, but for my part, I feel a little bit moved, really...

BTW: I stumbled over one more interesting info on A. E. Peschel: It seems that, starting in 1923, he put in a stint in the USA. Don't know how long he stayed, but there is a passenger record I found in the Ellis Island Foundation archives:"

Posted Image

#2 Mario

Mario

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:59 AM

Ok. Those Peschels are obviously pretty hard to find, and I've been lucky enough to snag one from the Bay. Charcoal color, fairly stiff felt that is incredibly soft and silky to the touch.

Posted Image

#3 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

Ok. Those Peschels are obviously pretty hard to find, and I've been lucky enough to snag one from the Bay. Charcoal color, fairly stiff felt that is incredibly soft and silky to the touch.

Posted Image

Mario, This is a rare find indeed. Beautiful hat!

#4 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

This is a vintage Peschel hat display holder that was a gift from my friend Herbert Jennisenn at Hut-Neubarth Augsburg. It is a fantastic piece of German hat history!

Posted Image

Here it is in use.

Posted Image

#5 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

Peschel Velour Dinkelsbühl, Germany

This one is from Billysmom (Sue) on the FL. Fancy lite color velour with forehead vent and retractable rope loop for hanging. I am thinking mid 50s.

Dimensions:
2" brim
5" uncreased crown
1 7/8" sweat
1 7/8" ribbon

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

This Peschel Flexa (size 59cm) is from the late 50s early 60s. Probably too stingy for most but I like the look. Peschels (never seen a pre 1945 one from Nový Jičín) are pretty rare and only paid $1.50.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

This beautiful probably late 50s Peschel belongs to RLK from the FL.

2-1/2" brim with narrow binding. Finish is between shaved and satin. Dark Taupe color.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

My second vintage Peschel Hat Bucket (holder).

Posted Image

In action!

Posted Image

#9 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

Anton Peschel Tyrol (Dinkelsbühl, Germany ) velour, size 7 3/8. I am thinking mid - late 50s and made for the US market. I don't believe that it was ever worn and the brown velour finish (very difficult to photograph) is some of the finest I have encountered post WWII. Also a Borsalino like corrugated vent and hanging cord (similar to Hückel). Over quality is super!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

This Anton Peschel Dinkelbühl "Garmisch" belongs to RLK on the FL. I thinking late 50s early 60s.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

This is a olive NOS stingy Peschel back bow velour, size 59cm that I received from Herbert at Hut-Neubart, Augsburg. I would say late 60s early 70s.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

This Peschel Velour Alpen belongs to Dinerman on the FL. Probably late 50s early 60s.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

Peschel pre 1940 USA newspaper ads.

09/08/1914

Posted ImagePosted Image

11/21/1914

Posted Image

11/28/1914

Posted Image

12/05/1914

Posted Image

10/22/1920

Posted Image

12/09/1920

Posted Image

12/07/1921

Posted Image

12/17/1922

Posted Image

11/16/1937

Posted Image

#14 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

A couple of 1955/56 USA newspaper hat shop ads that mention Anton Peschel hats.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I picked up this beautiful very rare pre 1940s Anton Peschel Velour from M_Jones of the FL, size 58cm. This is the one that was hacked up but the felt survived. He had it nicely restored by Optimo. The slick - shiny velour finish is very similar to pre 40s Hückel velours. The Peschel liner label still lists Neutitschein but made in CzechoSolvakia so post WWI.

I found some info on "The Star Clo. Co. Macon, GA". The company was owned by David Wachtel Sr. who immigrated from Austria / Bohemia in 1867. His son David Wachtel Jr. born in Macon 1895 was also involved in the business and took over sometime after his father's death in 1920s (not listed in 1930 census). I have no idea how long the business lasted after 1930.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

Peschel Velour, Size 58, late 50s early 60s.

I got this one for about $10.00. Looked like a wreck but I knew it was a nice Velour.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Original auction photo.

Posted Image

#17 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:52 PM

This beauty belongs to alanfgag (Alan) on the FL. It appears to be in NOS condition. I am thinking early 1960s maybe late 1950s.

"Anton Peschel arrived today... these pictures taken just out of the box, before steaming the storage marks from the brim. A very beautiful deep brown velour, lighter than it looks and quite formable. How to wear it... how to wear it... "

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

A. Peschel & Brüder Böhm factory sites.

#19 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

A. Peschel, Garmich, size 7 3/8. This one is from Dinkelsbühl and made for the American market. Fantastic Velour finish and overall quality. Probably late 1950s early 1960s and in near new condition. An amazingly well made hat for this time period.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 habigman

habigman

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:54 AM

A. Peschel "Norma" Homburg, size 59cm. Very early 1960s and in near NOS condition. This is my first A. Peschel Dinkelsbühl Homburg and it's fantastic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users