Invision Community

Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl

(Original Post 08/23/2009)

Third hat factory in Nový Jičín (Czechoslovakia). Founded in 1850 and nationalized under TONAK after WWII. Had a location in Dinkelsbühl, Germany that stopped production in 1971.

Here is some information from Mario regarding Peschel Dinkelsbühl.

"Well, now. I just phoned up the Dinkelsbühl number I found - only to learn that there is no longer a shop by the name of Peschel... But - lo and behold! - I happend to talk with Anton Ernst Peschel's widow, and she told me that the production site in Dinkelsbühl closed it's doors in 1971. Her husband died seven years later, in 1978.

Günther Peschel from Novy Jicin/Neutitschein was on of their relatives, but I failed to ask for details here. She told me that, after the sixties and the general demise of the hat industry, it just didn't make sense anymore to produce hats at such a large scale, and they thus decided to end their business.

I told her that I just bought an old Peschel hat and that I was keen to find some information about the company, even more so because it's so hard to find any information at all. She said that it makes her very happy to learn that there are still people out there who love to wear Peschel hats. She seemed so very proud of the lids they made - and so pretty sad that they had to abandon the business.

Well, that's not really a whole lot of information, I know, but for my part, I feel a little bit moved, really...

BTW: I stumbled over one more interesting info on A. E. Peschel: It seems that, starting in 1923, he put in a stint in the USA. Don't know how long he stayed, but there is a passenger record I found in the Ellis Island Foundation archives:"

Anton Peschel Dinkelsbühl hat display holder that was a gift from my friend Herbert Jennisenn at Hut-Neubarth Augsburg. It is a fantastic piece of German hat history!  (Original post 09/05/2009)

3889987477_079610923f_b.jpg

Here it is in use.

3890780322_5b0549a059_b.jpg

(Originally Posted 10/20/2009)

Peschel Velour Dinkelsbühl, Germany

This one is from Billysmom (Sue) on the FL. Fancy lite color velour with forehead vent and retractable rope loop for hanging. I am thinking mid 50s.

Dimensions:

2" brim

5" uncreased crown

1 7/8" sweat

1 7/8" ribbon

Peschel-open-crown.jpg

Peschel-brim-up.jpg

Peschel-liner-tip.jpg

Peschel-sweat.jpg

Peschel-Store.jpg

Peschel-back-sweat.jpg

Peschel-corrugation.jpg